Technology Support Specialist
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
The Technology Support Specialist provides high-quality and timely technical support for end user computer systems, software, instructional technology and related peripheral equipment in use at Edgewood College. Use ‘Best Practice” methods as defined by internal knowledge base articles, College policies, and industry standards in pursuit of the support of our academic technology environment.
- Customer service skills, to include face-to-face, audio and text communications.
- Support and maintain desktop computing, instructional technology equipment and related hardware and software on Edgewood College campus(s).
- Technical support for multi-media, Special Event related activities as required by the Information Technology Services Office.
- Basic technical support for telephone and swipe card security equipment.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends on as needed basis as required by Special Event technology support assigned by the Service Desk Manager.
- Assist in set up and implementation of new technology on campus.
- Aid in the training of Faculty and Staff concerning hardware and software available.
- Provide Faculty and Staff with technical support to resolve questions and problems.
- Work with leadership in the documentation of procedures.
- Complies with software licensing practices for all areas of the College.
- Help coordinate office staff and work-study Students in support of our computer help desk and computer labs and classrooms as requested by the Supervisors of the Office.
- Must be able to work non-standard hours on a regularly scheduled basis as set forth by the area Supervisor.
- Provide orientation for students or staff when requested by Supervisor.
- Assist the senior office staff and its management as requested.
Additional Job Functions (not initially required)
- Knowledge and operation of service desk software and procedures.
- Knowledge and operation of check-out module and procedures.
- Knowledge and operation of AV production technology and procedures.
- Ability to monitor, train, and assist work-study students in the overall requirements of Technology Assistance Center operation.
- Complete competency in all other duties required as first contact:
- Ability to efficiently diagnose and troubleshoot issues involving but not limited to:
- Office technology, including desktop computers and peripherals.
- Printer and copier usage and problems.
- Desktop software usage and problems.
- Level 1 infrastructure connectivity.
- Heartland 1Card technology limited to swipes and cards.
- Competency in PC software and hardware installation, including peripherals.
- Familiarity with campus technology and requirements.
- Basic knowledge of network file sharing and software architecture.
- Basic knowledge of TCP-IP switch and server architecture on campus.
Required Education or Work Experience:
- Two-year degree in Information Technology Systems or related professional experience.
- Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision with the ability to coordinate with individuals from other departments to accomplish required tasks and objectives.
Required Technology Skills:
- Overall Proficient skill-level in Microsoft Office, which includes: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, and basic computer concepts.
- Willingness and ability to learn new software
Necessary Knowledge and Skills:
- Good learning, creative and conceptual skills in order to assist users in supporting “Best Practice” use of technology.
- Pleasant personality and ability to relate to many types of people.
- Ability to learn independently and grow in a dynamically changing environment.
- Familiarity with current core technologies in use at Edgewood College:
- Microsoft Office applications.
- Microsoft Windows desktop operating system.
- Adobe family of graphics and multi-media software.
- MacOS operating systems.
- Network printing technologies
- General IP networking technologies.
- General computer hardware technologies.
- General analog and digital audio and video multi-media technologies.
- General telephone equipment & technologies.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – TNSP
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer