School of Nursing Advisor
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Provide effective academic advising for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate pre-nursing majors as well as assisting the Director of Undergraduate Advising with the administration of Eagle Enrollment Days and STAR Days. The School of Nursing advisor will carry a load of approximately 200 students as well as work with prospective students. The advisor will also support faculty advisors, adding an additional 200 students.
- Oversee and coordinate advising for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students interested in Nursing.
- Facilitate student admissions into the Nursing major:
- Represent School of Nursing at Edgewood College-sponsored admission/orientation functions.
- Communicate admissions eligibility requirements to current Edgewood and prospective students.
- Receive applications and evaluate applicants' eligibility for faculty interview and submit eligible applications to faculty screening committee.
- Collaborate with Admissions to formally admit students that apply through the Nursing Centralized Application System to Edgewood College.
- Update and maintain admission cycle reports.
- Provide accepted students initial orientation into the major.
- Work with the School of Nursing Coordinator to ensure newly admitted students comply with non-course eligibility requirements (Certified Profile; CNA, CPR and First Aid licensure; health requirements, etc.)
- Monitor enrollments of nursing pre-required courses and collaborate with stakeholders to manage course availability based on student need.
- Provide advising and some coordination support for EE and STAR Days.
- Work with the Dean of the School of Nursing in areas such as (but not limited to):
- Regularly conferring with School of Nursing faculty and administrative staff.
- Serving as the main contact between the School of Nursing and the Admission office, Career Services and those members of the Edgewood College community who work with nursing majors, to make students' transitions smooth and successful.
- Attending School of Nursing faculty meetings to contribute to issues related to admission process, advising and the curriculum.
- Provide training to/and assist faculty advisors.
- Assist with advisor training when appropriate and with revision of advising materials.
- Responsible for the development and updating of the position manual including, but not limited to, procedures for the various projects and processes that this position oversees, as well as an administrative calendar.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Dean of the School of Nursing.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Bachelor degree required; Master degree in higher education or student services desired, or equivalent experience.
- Previous academic advising experience in higher education preferred
- Previous experience in student admission preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to develop rapport with traditional and non-traditional aged undergraduates and to work with faculty.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills to include handling multiple projects, meeting deadlines, attentiveness to detail and accuracy.
- Familiarity with research and theory in the fields of higher education and student development desirable.
- Willingness to learn computer applications to effectively enhance advising practices.
Specialized Technology Skills:
- Overall proficiency in Microsoft Office, which includes Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and basic computer concepts.
- Knowledge of SharePoint.
- Willingness and ability to learn new software.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – SNRA
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer