Graduate Assistant – School of Education Doctoral Program
DESCRIPTION OF JOB:
Will work under the supervision of the Director of the Ed.D. Program and the Director of Research as a program assistant for faculty teaching and research in the Ed.D. Program. The Graduate Assistant will serve as a course assistant and research assistant for the doctoral faculty collaborative. The Graduate Assistant will also help with projects as needed, including but not limited to updating program handbooks and course description and communicating doctoral student needs to the department. The graduate assistant will participate in weekly meetings with full-time doctoral faculty and the Director of the program. In addition, the Graduate Assistant is expected to maintain regular email contact with faculty and provide project updates to the Director of Research. (Hours are flexible but the majority of scheduled hours will be during the 8-5 p.m. work day at the Deming Way campus with occasional travel required to the Monroe St. campus.)
- Research assistant: Assist the Director of Doctoral Research with communicating research methodology and design techniques to beginning doctoral students; organize and analyze the infusion of research competencies in doctoral content classes; make original contributions to research efforts of faculty, staff, and students.
- Course Assistant: Work with the doctoral faculty on the design and use of a course evaluation system to provide assessment data to instructors for course and program improvement; maintain office hours and conduct research review sessions for students; monitor and maintain course Blackboard sites for faculty.
- Attend weekly doctoral faculty and committee meetings: Report to faculty regarding research methodology and data analysis of course and program assessments as well as student status in program courses.
Necessary Education or Work Experience:
- Required qualifications:
- Must be enrolled in the Edgewood College Ed.D. Program, be in good academic standing, and be registered in the School each term of the appointment.
- Ability to work independently and follow a project through to completion
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work with many types of technology, including Microsoft Office, database software, online survey tools, quantitative and qualitative data analysis software, Skype, and social media
- Preferred qualifications:
- Academic research and writing skills
- Qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills
- Applicants who will be in their graduate program for more than one year.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of and expertise in the American Psychological Association (APA) writing style
- Accurate proofreading and keyboarding skills
- Experience with Blackboard, Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint) as well as other database management software (file maker pro)
- Familiarity with web design and survey design tools (survey monkey)
- It is of paramount importance that this graduate student feels, thinks, and speaks highly of their academic and social experience at Edgewood College.
The candidate must actively support the mission of the college by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values - truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources – GASOD
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer