Volunteer Assistant Men’s Volleyball Coach
Description of Job
This position reports directly to the Head Coach, under the direction of the Director of Athletics. The position is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in the design, supervision and implementation of a high level men’s volleyball program that uses current training techniques to maximize player & program efficiency. This person must be current on NCAA DIII rules and be able to complete the rules certification process prior to initiating in recruitment of prospective student athletes for the program. This position will be active in supporting the College’s Mission and Vision, and will strictly adhere to NCAA, Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference and Institutional rules.
- Provide superior instruction, evaluation and performance feedback to all players
- Assist the Head Coach in delivering in person preseason and post season player evaluations
- Engage in regular team and small group film sessions and offer visual feedback on performances and strategies
- Assist the Head Coach in organizing and producing effective and efficient practice plansz
- Collect, analyze and interpret tactical and statistical data to help produce scouting reports
- Model and foster appropriate sportsmanship, competitiveness, and humility
- Assist the technical coordinator with setup, organization & execution of technology during practice, film sessions & match play.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of NCAA and conference regulations, and assist in the adherence to them.
- Identify, evaluate, collect data & video on prospects that will well represent Edgewood College academically and athletically.
- Attend recruiting events within the high school and club volleyball season.
- Develop relationships with high school/club coaches, teachers, alumni, and others that can aid in the recruitment of student-athletes.
- Monitor useful recruiting websites (BeRecruited, NCSA, FieldLevel, etc) for updated prospect profiles and enter data into Front Rush to continue to fill the program’s funnel.
- Attend recruit campus visits when possible and as directed by the Head Coach.
- Help with travel arrangements, purchasing apparel/equipment, and other needs for the program.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Coach
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
- Regularly required to move and interact with collegiate athletes
- Regularly required to sit;
- Frequently required to use keying skills, visual requirements associated with keying data, often detailed and numeric;
- Frequently required to interpret and respond to printed documentation;
- Regularly required to communicate effectively on the telephone;
- The noise level in the work environment is normal office conversation though, can be loud during events;
- Occasionally required to drive to off-site facilities, meetings, conferences & recruiting events. Approximately 60% of job functions will require travel.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- Minimum 2 -4 years demonstrated experience in a competitive high school or club coaching program required; Prior collegiate coaching experience preferred (and/or a combination of coaching & competitive playing experience).
- Possess a general understanding of the recruiting rules & process within the NCAA DIII
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well & relate to student athletes
- Must possess adequate technical & tactical volleyball knowledge
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, communication and time management skills
- Commitment and understanding of and ability to support the Edgewood College Mission and Values
- Required to complete a background and DMV check satisfactory to Edgewood College prior to employment
Required Technical Skills
- Proficient with MS Office 365 platform
- Demonstrate ability to navigate various social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc.)
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources –VAVC
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer