Security Officer - Limited Term Employee (LTE)
Description of Job
Edgewood College is seeking a part-time Security Officer.
This position will ensure safety on campus while providing security, protection and related services to the Edgewood College community. They will be responsible for performing security enforcement related work concerned with protecting the lives and property of the general public but primarily the Edgewood College community; and conduct crime prevention, community relations, and educational programs/activities on campus in support of the Edgewood College’s mission and consistent with the Dominican values. This is a limited term position that will supplement shifts (mainly weekends) as needed. Our current shift hours are 11p-7a, 7a-3p, 3p-11p, and 10p-3a (flex shift). The average LTE position will work 8 to 24 hours per month.
- The Security Department promotes the safety and security of persons, property and buildings on the Edgewood College campus. This includes enforcement of policies, rules and regulations of the College, as well as federal, state, and local laws and ordinances. The Security Officer is responsible for identifying, enforcing and investigating incidents on the campus, enforcing campus parking regulations and ticketing violators. They conduct investigations of student conduct complaints, and other assigned cases. Exercising proper discretion and judgment.
- Work effectively with the office of the Residence Life, faculty, staff members, and law enforcement personnel of other jurisdictions to ensure effective and appropriate mitigation of incidents, crimes and crisis.
- Work collaboratively with the office of the Residence Life to provide a student-centered approach to promoting a safe and orderly environment consistent with the needs of institutions of higher education in residential areas.
- Other duties include but are not limited to, patrol procedures requiring considerable physical effort under varying climatic conditions, exposure to accidents or occupational hazards that may result in loss of life; assist law enforcement officers and agencies; complete forms and enter required reports regarding activities into appropriate records management systems as well as timely and effective communication in the form of written documentation and/or verbal and electronic communication, required reporting to officials at Edgewood College Security and Residential Life.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- High School Diploma (College or Professional experience in field preferred.)
- Must be able to meet Wisconsin’s qualifications for a Security Guard.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Must possess excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to respond quickly to emergencies.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays and periods of time that the college is closed.
- Must be able to interpret federal, state, and local laws. As well as Edgewood College rules and regulations.
- Must have the ability to function in stressful situations; i.e. fire, severe weather, medical emergencies and security incidents.
- Overall basic computer skills and willingness to learn new software.
- Ability to use sound and independent judgment
Edgewood College, a Catholic college sponsored by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence - the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values - truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - SLOT
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer