Professional Education/Center for Student Success Advisor
Description of Job
- Academic Advising:
- Provide curricular, policy, and procedural information to students.Assist students with academic advising and course enrollment.As needed, facilitate long term planning for degree completion.
- Provide academic advising support for all Eagle Enrollment and transfer student advising sessions
- Provide additional advising and faculty resource/support for students pursuing majors within the School of Liberal Arts, Education, and the Sciences, including serving as a primary advisor to Education majors and a secondary advisor to students in the Cutting-Edge program, and serving as advisor for additional populations such as the Early College Credit Program, non-degree seeking students, and international exchange students.
- Career Development:
- Provide individualized career development/major selection counseling
- Utilize assessment tools to contextualize decision making
- Assist in the planning and implementation of career services programming
- Provide specialized career development resources as assigned
- Academic Success Strategies:
- Provide individualized assistance with issues concerning academic success including study skills, time management, and test taking skills
- Use research-based success strategies to assist students in their academics
- Intervene with assigned students who are placed on academic warning and probation
- Follow up on all academic alert notifications for assigned students
- Provide specialized academic skills resources as assigned
- Professional Development:
- Participate in continuous professional development around academic success and career development
- Attend Academic Success and Career Development Center staff meetings as scheduled
- Develop academic, career, and learning support knowledge base for assigned academic departments
- Keep accurate records of student contacts. This includes email and individual appointments, as well as other interactions and/or transactions with students.
- Implement and follow-through on retention initiatives as directed
- Provide appropriate referrals to campus resources when necessary
- Act as a resource for assigned academic departments, especially the Department of Curriculum & Instruction within the Division of Education.This may include attending department meetings, meeting with faculty, meeting with students, collaborating with external partnerships, and/or observing classes.
- Collaborate with deans, directors, and coordinators to evaluate the needs of students, regularly conferring with faculty and staff regarding student issues.
- Other duties as assigned by the Provost, Associate Dean of Education, Director of Advising, or their designees.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in higher education, student personnel, or educational leadership and policy analysis desirable
- One year of previous academic advising, career counseling, or relevant experience strongly preferred
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication, and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills as well as attentiveness to detail and accuracy
- Familiarity with research and theory in student development, career services, academic advising or learning support desired
Required Technical Skills
- Demonstrated ability and affinity to effectively use technology to enhance communication and record-keeping is required
Edgewood College, a Catholic college sponsored by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence - the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values - truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources –PECS
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer