Description of Job
The successful applicant will demonstrate knowledge of current trends in technology and adult learning as applied to distance education programs, as well as excellent organizational and communications skills. In addition, the successful applicant will be able to work collaboratively and flexibly with faculty, other instructional designers, and development specialists to design and develop high-quality online courses.
Successful candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, and multicultural competence in an educational environment, and must be dedicated to the College's strategic inclusion goals, including accessibility standards.
Online/Blended Course Design and Development, and Course Maintenance Support
- Design and develop online and blended courses, in consultation with deans, program directors, faculty, independent contractors, and members of the Edgewood College Online team
- Build courses in Edgewood College’s learning management system (Blackboard)
- Support faculty in online and blended course maintenance tasks and revisions
- Support and advise online faculty in pedagogically sound uses of LMS and online instructional technology and assessment tools.
- Support the Online Faculty Development Specialist in the development of self-paced e-learning courses and materials for certificate programs, faculty development workshops, and related college needs
- Collaborate with the Director of Online Learning to review course quality using agreed-upon course design quality standards and make revisions as needed
- Monitor, review, and carry out ongoing troubleshooting of course sites in the learning management system (e.g., check for typos, broken links, formatting issues)
- Maintain and update tasks and project status reports in the electronic project management system
- Carry out course and/or program review activities. Make recommendations for improvements or updates in course/program design.
- Incorporate Universal Design and ensure ADA accessibility compliance in all online and blended courses
- Recommend policies and procedures that improve the course development and revision process
- Gather feedback from stakeholders to continually update and improve course design and content
- Maintain high regard for student privacy in accordance with FERPA policies and procedures
- Revise and maintain the Orientation for Online Learners course in the LMS
Online/Blended Faculty Development and Support
- Co-facilitate the college’s online faculty certification program under direction of the Online Faculty Development Specialist.
- Recommend and implement effective strategies for supporting faculty as adult learners with diverse teaching/learning styles, abilities, and backgrounds
- Support faculty in the integration of technologies to facilitate student learning
- Lead or participate in workshops designed to inform faculty about research-based instructional design, online or blended learning, and technology integration for online or blended courses
- Support faculty in overcoming barriers to using technology to enhance teaching and learning across all academic programs
- Attend and present at professional conferences
- Participate in professional development opportunities in the area of instructional design and online faculty development
- Actively participate in all online team meetings
- Support Blackboard education collegewide as assigned
- Lead training and troubleshooting efforts for specified learning technologies
- Serve on campus committees and attend meetings related to job duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- Earned Master's Degree in education, instructional design, educational technology or related field, or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training
- At least two years of experience in the development and assessment of online or blended courses at the college/university level.
- At least two years of experience in supporting faculty, educators, or trainers (teaching institutes, professional development workshops, developing online courses, developing training/consulting resources, etc.)
- Experience using a standards-based approach to course quality assurance (e.g. Quality Matters)
- Experience with current versions of Blackboard Learn Original and Ultra, or a combination of experiences using and supporting faculty/staff with an LMS.
- At least one year of experience teaching online or blended courses at an accredited institution of higher learning.
Edgewood College, a Catholic college sponsored by the Dominican Sisters of Sinsinawa, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence - the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values - truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - INSD
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer