Custodial Professional – 3rd Shift
Description of Job
Edgewood College is seeking a Custodial Professional - 3rd shift. This position reports to the designated Shift Supervisor and performs a variety of manual tasks and duties in support of building services provided by the Facilities Department, including event set ups, moves and project cleaning. During the summer, areas of responsibility shift more towards hospitality, dorms and apartment turnovers and projects are done in addition to the maintenance of entire college campus for summer courses and conferences.
3rd Shift: Sunday - Thursday, 10:00pm - 6:30am.
Primary duties include interior cleaning and some exterior cleaning including, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintain all types of flooring and stairways. This may include sweeping, mopping, dusting, vacuuming.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms including all fixtures and partitions.
- Clean and maintain a variety of college spaces/buildings including residence halls, offices, classrooms, meeting rooms and common areas. This includes, but is not limited to, cleaning windows, walls, furniture, technical equipment, laboratory equipment and appliances.
- Shower cleaning and apartment cleaning
- Following proper methods and safe use of materials and equipment, and all safety regulations and policies
- Reporting all hazards, defects, deterioration and wear and tear of the facilities to the Supervisor Facilities Utilization and Operations Manager, or the Director of Facilities and the Director of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety when necessary
- Following and ensuring that the rules and regulations of the College, policies and procedures of Facilities Operations, and all safety regulations, are known and observed by custodial staff, offering training when needed
- Kitchen and kitchenette cleaning including but not limited to stoves, fridges, microwaves, etc.
- Communicate needed building repairs
- Snow removal which may require the use of machines.
- Empty wastebaskets and recycle containers.
- Care for equipment and supplies including changing filters and belts on vacuums, cleaning equipment basins, changing filters and tubing, maintaining and communicating any issues
- Maintain an inventory and requisition of supplies.
- Assisting with student worker supervision including assisting with training and making sure on task and communication
- Collection of litter and debris
- Areas and cleaning route may vary depending on need or season
- Other tasks as assigned
Event Set Up:
- Reading and interpreting set up needs based on written and oral instruction
- Completing set ups in a timely manner while also prioritizing daily cleaning needs
- Troubleshooting event set ups to fit location, size and changes as needed
- Following up as needed adding or removing furniture
- Changing cleaning patterns based on cleaning needs
- Vacuuming, touch up cleaning as needed and trash removal before and after events
- Wood care/cleaning
- Floor care including but not limited to stripping, waxing and other treatments
- Carpet care including but not limited to shampoo and extract carpeting
- Upholstery care and cleaning
- Deep clean ceramic tile and grouting
- Cleaning entrance rugs
- Moving furniture within a building and to different buildings across campus
- Rearranging furniture
- Moving books and office items within and across buildings
General Custodial tasks:
- Laundering of College owned linens and rags, and maintain linen inventory and supplies when necessary.
- Driving company fleet vehicles as needed.
- Routine servicing of cleaning equipment.
- Installation of dispensers, and hardware.
- Basic repairs to furniture and college property.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Work-related experiences in one or more of the above areas.
- Experience cleaning schools and/or dormitories a plus.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Skill to operate basic cleaning equipment.
- Problem solving skills and sound judgment.
- Some mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of the job. (lift up to 35lbs, occasionally more with assistance)
- Ability to maintain schedules and records as needed to perform tasks.
Other Necessary Qualifications:
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to maintain a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the department and the campus community.
- Ability to work effectively individually or in teams as well as with diverse groups.
- Ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
- Adjusting work schedule as needed for special events including but not limited to move in, commencement, and other large college events or special projects
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing and to take instructions from either. Express ideas effectively.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
Human Resources - CTPL
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer