Adjunct Instructor - Mathematics
Description of Job
The Mathematics Department at Edgewood College invites applications for an adjunct teaching position for the Fall 2021 semester.
Teach two sections of MATH 114A College Algebra. The courses are scheduled MWF 8:00-8:50 am and MWF 9:00-9:50 am.
MATH 114A College Algebra:
Algebra preparation necessary for success in calculus. Topics include: algebraic properties of linear, quadratic, polynomial, rational, exponential and logarithmic functions and their graphs. Combined with Math 114B: Precalculus B: Trigonometry, the two courses comprise a complete overview of algebra and trigonometry required for calculus. This course satisfies the general education mathematics requirement. Prerequisites: Math placement level 3 or higher - OR - math placement level 2 and concurrent enrollment in Math 099C.
Necessary Education or Work Experience
- A master’s degree in mathematics or a related discipline; PhD preferred.
- Experience working with undergraduates in the classroom
- Access to a computer with internet connection to communicate with students and other staff.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work collaboratively with department peers and others on campus
Required Knowledge and Skills
- An enthusiastic, reflective approach to teaching is required. Candidates with a demonstrated ability to create meaningful collegial relationships with students, faculty, and leadership with diverse backgrounds and points of view will be given priority consideration.
Edgewood College, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. Candidates must demonstrate multicultural competence — the awareness, knowledge, and skills needed to work with others who are culturally different from self in meaningful, relevant, and productive ways. Applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations including women and racial and ethnic minorities are especially encouraged to apply. The selected candidate must actively support the mission of the College by working with faculty, staff and students to share in our core values — truth, compassion, justice, partnership, and community.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to applications received no later than May 10, 2021. Early response is encouraged.
A completed application will consist of:
- a letter of application that describes the candidate’s teaching experience and interests, and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- a curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- a statement of teaching philosophy;
- a transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists)
To apply: Send completed application materials to:
Human Resources – AJMA
1000 Edgewood College Drive
Madison, WI 53711
Equal Opportunity Employer